I have recently gotten into car camping. I have always wanted to live in a RV or my car so I’m not shocked I am loving, but I wish I would have embraced it sooner. The amazing thing about car camping is you can make it your own. Some people have the bare basics and some have elaborate set ups. It what works for you and your lifestyle.
- Sleeping Bag/Blankets – I use blankets. I have so many blankets around the house. I just grab one depending on the weather and put it in my car.
- Pillow – It’s the same as my blanket. I use pillows that I have at home.
- Light Source – I got a latern from Bass Pro before my first car camp. It came in handy because it got dark quick and I wasn’t ready for bed yet.
- Bug Repellent – I use the bracelets. It comes down to personal preference.
- Wipes – I have used baby wipes in the past. I have HyperGo wipes at the moment that I enjoy using.
Next Step Up
- Air Mattress – I got my air mattress as a gift, but I know they purchased it from Amazon. Mine also comes with an air pump that plugs into your car. It’s super easy and quick.
- Window Covers – Depending on where you are staying and for how long I think this one could go in this category or in the basics. I got mine off Amazon and came with covers for all the windows. I was shocked with how dark it got which was great for the summer because it kept the car cool. The back window covers are mesh and go over the door, so you can have the windows down and still have privacy and keep the bugs out.
- Power Inverter – I love mine because it kept everything charged while I was car camping.
- Car Organizer – To me this is a basic because I can not stand clutter and things just all over the place. Also I like to put things away during the day and set up at night. I don’t want to give the illusion that I live or staying in my car during the day.
- Table – I have a small table that I can put next to my chair. It’s nice having a surface that isn’t in my car. It’s also great to have incase you can’t find a picnic bench.
- Chair – I don’t want to spend all my time in my car, so I got chair that can fit under my set up that I can easily put in and out.
On the Boujee Side
These are things that to me just make my life easier but they are NOT necessary to car camping.
- Bed Set Up – This one can be all over the board depending on who you talk to. Some people say this is too much, BUT I kinda need it in my car. I have an SUV and when I put the back seats down there is about a 2 inch drop to the trunk area. My set up is pretty basic is just enough to put storage underneath and put my air mattress on top.
- Utensils – Depends on how long you are going to be car camping.
- Cooking Set – I have seen so many sets with different options. Mine is for one person, because I am usually by myself. I clean after meal.
- Portable Stove – Just depends on how long you will be car camping and what you want to do for food.
- Sleeping Pad – I don’t have a sleeping pad that I put between the set up and my air mattress. In the past, I have laid blanket down then my air mattress. I think I am going to try the sleeping pad when I take my summer trip because I will be gone a week.
- Knife – I got one that can do 17 different things. I have it in my bag that I also leave in the car.
- Jumper Cables – I am terrified of being stranded somewhere, so I asked for a jumper cables. The one I got is portable and I can do myself. It is also a flashlight and charging station. I keep this in my car all the time.
- Hammock – I have one but I haven’t used it yet. I have a friend who goes hiking and camping all the time and loves it. The few times I have been car camping there hasn’t been trees close enough to test it out.